Swelling and redness of the skin are caused as a result of the accumulation of body fluid on the skin surface, the condition is caused as a result of bacterial infection, signs of acne, hypersensitivity, or allergic to drugs or food.
In this post, we are going to look at 7 effective ways to relieve swelling and redness at home using a homemade recipe. Natural ingredients are filled with anti-inflammatory properties which when used on the affected area can bring about fast relieve to the skin by drying out the swollen area and exfoliating the skin by opening up the skin pores or hair follicles thereby removing the dead skin cell, hormone or dirt that blocked the skin pores.
Green Tea and Honey
Green tea is rich in anti-inflammatory properties which when used on the swollen skin can bring about fast relieve to your skin while raw honey act as a natural cleanser that cleanses the affected area and helps to balance the pH of the affected area.
- 2 teaspoon of green tea
- 4 teaspoon of honey
- Add 1 tea bag of green tea in a cup containing hot water and wait for 20 minutes for it to brewing thoroughly.
- Pour 2 teaspoon of green tea in a small bowl and add 4 teaspoons of raw honey to the bowl.
- Mix the mixture together with a spoon and pour the mixture into a bottle. Cover the bottle with a cap and store it in a cool and dry place.
- Wash the affected area with water and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Apply the mixture to the affected area and use your finger to gently massage the mixture into your skin.
- Leave it on for few minutes and wash it off with water and pat your face dry with soft towel.
Ice can be used to reduce the swelling and redness of the skin. Ice improves the blood circulation to the affected part and helps to open the skin pores to remove foreign material that blocks the skin pores.
Wrap the ice in a piece of cloth and place it on the affected area and leave for few minutes. You can repeat this process until your skin is relieved.
Yogurt is rich with antibacterial properties which help to kill bacteria. Yogurt contains alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) which helps to exfoliate the skin by removing the dead skin cell from the body. The dead skin cell if not remove from the skin pores would block the skin pores leading to swelling and redness of the skin.
Use only plain yogurt has it contains a low amount of acid and when compare with sweetened and flavored yogurt. Using flavored yogurt can worsening the swelling and redness.
- Wash your face with water to remove dirt and makeup and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Add 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt to your hand and apply it on your face. Use your fingertip to massage the face mask on your face.
- Leave it on for about 10 to 20 minutes and wash it off with water.
- Pat your face dry with a soft towel and apply water based moisturizer on your face.
Apple cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in anti-inflammatory properties which when used can help to relieve swelling and reduce the redness of the skin. It also contains antibacterial and antifungal properties which help to kills bacteria and fungi on the skin.
- 2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- Add apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and stir them together.
- Wash the affected area with the mixture and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Repeat the process thrice a day until the redness and swelling have disappeared.
Tea tree oil and Aloe vera gel
Tea tree helps to relieve redness and swelling skin, a common example of skin inflammation is contact dermatitis, acne, or pimples. The unpleasant swelling and redness can be painful though it is not severe you can use tea tree oil until the pains and redness go away.
- 10 drops of tea tree
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil with one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and one tablespoon of coconut oil thoroughly.
- Wash the affected area with clean water and pat it dry with a soft towel and apply the mixture to the affected part.
- Leave it on for few minutes and wash it off with water and pat your skin dry.
Tomato and Sugar
Tomato and sugar can be used to remove dead skin cell, dirt, and impurities from your face that blocked the skin pores. It also helps to reduce inflammation on the skin leaving you with a glowing and smooth face.
- ½ medium-size ripe tomato
- A little pinch of sugar
- Wash the tomato with clean water and pat it to dry, this removes the dirt and impurities from the fruit. Cut the tomato fruit into two equal half. You only need one half of the fruit; you can discard the other half or use them for another purpose. Sprinkle sugar on top of the pulp.
- Gently scrub your face with the face mask and leave it on for about for 15 to 20 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
Sesame Oil and Rice Flour
This ingredient can be used on your swollen skin bring about fast relieve. It also helps to tighten skin pores, which help to reduce the amount of oil on the skin and remove dirt from the skin.
- 1 teaspoon of rice flour
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Mix rice flour and sesame oil together and stir it together until it forms a smooth paste.
- Wash the affected area with water and pat it dry with a soft towel. Apply the paste to your face and use your finger to massage the paste on the affected area.
- Leave the paste on your face for about 10 minutes and washing it off with water and shampoo.