Tea tree oil is an essential oil that is extracted from the tea tree; the tree is native to South Australia. It is also grown in South Africa and New Zealand. Tea tree Melaleucaalternifolia belong to the family of myrtle has antiseptic properties which can be used on the skin, hair, scalp, and aromatherapy without worrying about the skin effect.
The use of tree tea oil begins for skin and hair when the aborigines in Australia discover the amazing benefits that can derive from the tree tea oil. They use the oil on wounded soldier to increase the healing process of wound. In this post, we are going to look at the amazing benefits that you can derive when you start using tree tea oil on your hair and scalp.
History of Tea Tree Oil
The discovery of the healing process, antiseptic properties, and antibiotic properties is credited to the ancient aborigine inAustralia, but this amazing oil was broughtto the old world when the British explorers begin the journey to Australia, in particular, New South Wales and Queensland region. The explorer discovers that the aborigine extracted oil from the tea tree and applied the oil on wounds to heal. They also used tree tea oil to treat coughand cold.
The production of tree tea oil for commercial purposes begins in 1920s when a chemist Arthur Penhold discover the beauty benefits that you can derive when you use tea tree oil, this has to lead the government of Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa to start the mass cultivation of tree tea.
How Is Tree Tea Oil Produced?
The leaves of the tree tea plant and oil are highly toxic when consumed, therefore you should be very careful when producing the oil at home. Tree tea oil is produced by steam distillation of leaf and bark of the tree tea, the end product which is the tree tea oil is then separated and transferred to different bottles. The bottles are cover with a cap and then distributed to different part of the world.
Benefits of Tree Tea Oil for Hair
The benefits that you can derive from using tree tea oil is not limited to hair but to skin, and body as well, this is because of the presence of terpinen-4-ol that has been proven to kill certain types of bacteria, virus, and fungi. It also increases the activity of white blood cell in fighting germ and healing of wounds.
According to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, lice are the second most dreaded condition after cold that affectsup to 12 million children ages 3 to 11 in the United States of America. This ugly condition is not limited to the UnitedStates of America but to the world in general. Head lice are wingless insect that lives in the scalps of your head and they lay egg called nits which later matures to lice, they cannot survive after 24 hours outside your hair because they need the blood from the human scalps.
Tree tea oil can be used to kill lice because of the presence of 1, 8-cineole common called eucalyptol which it helps to kill the lice and also destroy nits or lice egg in the hair.
- Tea tree oil
- Aloe vera gel
- Coconut oil
- Peppermint oil
- Mix the entire ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Gently use your hand to massage the oil into the scalp of your hair to get the lice.
- Leave it for one hour and wash your hair with shampoo and water.
- You can use this method thrice a week to ensure that the lice are killed. Ensure that you wash your hand after using the recipe.
If your dream is to have longer and lush hair, then tree tea oil is the essential oil for you. It helps removes deadskin cells or foreign material that blocked the hair follicles and also encourages the flows of oxygenated blood to the scalp thereby nourishing your hair with nutrients.
- 3 tablespoon of tree tea oil
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil
- Mix tree tea oil and olive oil in a bowl and stir them together.
- Apply the hair mask to your hair and use your hand to comb through the hair to ensure that the oil reaches all the needed area.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the hair mask off with water and shampoo.
Relieve Itchy Scalp Condition
Dandruff and the presence of lice in hair is one of the main cause of itchiness in the scalp, the hair condition can be quite painful if not relieve fast. Tree tea oil can be used to relieve itchiness in scalpbecause of the presence of anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add few drops of tree tea oil to shampoo and apply it directly to your hair, use your hand to wash your hair and wash it off with water after few minutes.
Tree tea oil reduces the production of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the body; DHT is responsible for the hair loss in men.
- Mix 5 drops of tree tea oil with few drops of carrier oil preferably jojoba oil together and apply the oil directly to scalp after a bath. Use your fingertip to gently massage the oil and wash it off with water afterward after few minutes. You can leave it on overnight; make sure that you cover your hair with a shower cap before going to bed.