Swollen eyes are caused as result of foreign material getting in contact with your eyes, though our body reacts to different foreign material differently, but some people who we talk to admit that they get swollen eyes when foreign material likes concealer, foundations, creams, face mask and body lotion get in contact with the eyes. This is why it is always advisable for you to be careful when applying makeup on your face and not to apply facemask and moisturizer around the eye region.
There are home remedies that help soothe and relieve the swollen and puffy eyes, these homemade materials are easy to source and are free from dangerous chemicals that can harm your skin and eyes. These homemade remedies bring about fast relieve your swollen eyes and they also reduce the pain that accompanied having swollen eyes.
Ice can be used on swollen eyes to bring about fast relieve to the swelling by reducing the heat and redness; The way to use ice is by wrapping a few cubes of ice in a clean towel and places it directly on your eyes for few minutes, you can repeat this process as many time as you want. You can add a few cubes of ice to a cup of water and splash it on your face. The use of ice on your skin is not limited to swollen eyes alone, you can also use it to bring about fast relieve to your inflamed skin caused by acne, pimples, reaction to creams, and eczema.
Chamomile contains bisabolol which is responsible for its anti-inflammatory properties, it brings about relieve to inflamed skin. Chamomile can also be used on swollen eyes to relieve the swelling and puffiness.
- Add 1 teabag of chamomile herb in a cup of boiled water.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes and remove the tea bag let the tea cool down and use it as an eyewash.
Cucumbers belong to the family of Cucurbitaceae alongside watermelon, zucchinis, squash, and pumpkin, its scientific name is Cucumis sativus. It contains 95% of water which helps you to stay hydrated. It contains important antioxidants that help to soothe and relieve the swollen eyes.
- Select a fresh cucumber and wash it to remove dirt.
- Cut the fruits into different slices and place the slices on your swollen eyes.
- Close your eyes and leave the fruits on for 10 minutes.
Green tea is rich in antioxidant, anti-inflammatory properties, anti-carcinogenic properties, and vitamin A, C, and E which makes it ideal for your skin and eyes. One of the most important antioxidant present in green tea is myricetin which can be used to relieve swollen eyes. Tannic acid present in green tea is also useful as it helps soothe the itching.
- Place 1 tea bag of green tea in a cup of cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and place the tea bag on your eyes.
- Close your eyelid for 5 minutes and remove the tea bag, you can also use the tea as an eyewash.
Aloe vera gel
The presence of enzyme bradykinase in aloe vera helps to reduce the inflammation and swollen eyes this makes aloe vera gel one of the most widely used recipes for skin, hair, and swollen eyes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel in a cup containing cold water.
- Mix them thoroughly with a spoon and dip cotton balls into the cup and place them on your eyes for five minutes.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in anti-inflammatory properties which when used on your eyes can help to relieve and soothe swollen and puffy eyes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup containing cold water.
- Mix them thoroughly with a spoon and dip a swab of cotton ball into the mixture and use it to wash your eyes.
Rose water is flavored water made by adding rose petals into the water. Dip cotton ball into the cup containing rosewater and place them on your eyes for five minutes. You can repeat this process daily for a month and see the result.
Potato can be used on swollen eyes to bring about fast relieve and reduce the itchiness.
Slice up a potato and place the sliced potato directly on the dark circle and leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it off with water.