Honey is a sweet liquid food, produced in the honey sacs of various bees from the nectar of flowers as a result of pollination. The food has a dark golden color and has been used in ancient times to heal wood, sourceof foods, and embalming of the dead in ancient Egypt.
Honey can be used on this skin due to its amazing antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. This makes it effective in killing bacteria and fungi infection on the skin, it reversesthe effect of free radicals in the body and preventsthe buildup of free radicals in the body. The free radicals are responsible for the appearance of blemishes, wrinkles, and fine line appearing on the skin surface. It also speeds up the aging process of skin which is caused by the loosening of the skin internal structure, low productions of healthy and quality collagen, and the breakdwon of existing collagen.
In this post, we are going to look at how to prepare honey face mask at home and how to apply the face mask on your skin to keep your face well moisturized. Honey helps to maintain and balance the skin pH and is free from dangerous chemicals that will cause damage to your skin after using it. The use of honey to keep us well moisturized arises as a result of people using expensive moisturizer but they do not work. Honey is made up of 18% of water, which is low when compare to cucumber which is 95% water or watermelon which is 93% water but acts as a humectants which help to keep the face from drying by reducing the moisture content in the skin from dehydrating this keeps the face fresh and well moisturized.
Benefits of Honey for Skin
Treatment of Acne
Acne is caused when the bacteria Propionibacterium acts on the dead skin cell, sebum, or dirt that blocked the skin pores. Acne is one of the most common skin condition affecting both young and old. Honey can be used to treat acne because of the presence of antibacterial properties which kills the bacteria and prevent the bacteria from acting on the blocked skin pores.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 1 tablespoon of rosewater together, stir it together until it turns into a smooth paste.
- Wash the affected area with water and pat it dry using a soft towel.
- Apply the paste to your face and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and pat your face dry with a soft towel.
- You can repeat the process three or four times in a week for 2 months and see the result for yourself.
Remove Excess sebum from the Skin
Excess sebum in the skin surface can lead to acne or pimples; this is due to the fact that the excess sebum secreted by the sebaceous gland would later block the skin pores leading to acne breakout. Honey can be used to remove excess sebum from the skin pores by shrinking the skin pores thereby reducing the amount of sebum on the skin surface.
- Mix one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice with one tablespoon of honey and stir it together until it forms a thick paste.
- Applying the paste to affected part using a cotton swab and leave it for 25 to 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and pat your face dry.
- Lemon juice makes your skin become photosensitive; therefore it is more advisable to use this recipe in the night.
- Test the recipe on a small patch of skin to check if you are sensitive to the recipe or not, if there is redness or swelling on the patch of skin, do not use this recipe again.
Natural Face Cleanser
Honey is a natural face cleanser that you can use to remove dirt, sebum, dead skin cell, or foreign material from the skin surface. The viscous liquid also helps to balance the skin pH thereby reducing the buildup of bacteria on the skin surface.
- Apply a few drops of raw honey to your face and gently wash it off with water after 30 minutes to remove dirt and dead skin cell.
Slows Down the Aging of Skin
When we get older, wrinkles and fine line begin to appear on the skin surface, this is due to the fact that the body produces lowamount of healthy collagen when comparedwith the younger body. The small amounts of collagen produced are breakdown faster which leads to the skin losing its elasticity. Honey can be used on the skin to slow down the aging process of the skin by promoting healthy production of collagen in the body, prevent the buildup of free radicals in the body, and also maintain the skin internal structure.
- Add fresh organic blackberry, 1 tablespoon of almond oil, 1 tablespoon of raw honey, and 1 tablespoon of whole organic milk in a blender.
- Blend the ingredient together in a blender or food processor until it forms a smooth paste.
- Wash your face with water and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Apply the paste to your skin and use your face to gently massage the paste on your face with your fingertip.
- Leave the face mask on your face for 30 minutes and wash the paste off your skin with warm water.
- This recipe is recommended once a week.
Exfoliate Skin Pores
Honey can be usedto exfoliate your skin by removing dead skin cell leaving you with a smooth and radiant skin. The dead skin cells blocked the skin cells and they are can be old worn out skin tissue which when removes makes your skin shining and smooth.
- Mix 3 tablespoon of jojoba oil with 1 tablespoon of honey together in a bowl and stir it together.
- Wash your face with water and pat it dry using a soft towel.
- Apply the mixture to your face using a swab of a cotton ball.
- Allow the face mask for about 10 – 15 minutes and wash it off with water and pat your face dry with a soft towel.
Honey can be usedto remove make up from the face, the unhealthybuild up of makeup on the face can leadto uneven skin, dark lines, and dark spot appearing on the skin surface.
- Mix a little drop of raw honey with a few drops of either coconut oil or olive oil and stir them together.
- Apply the oil on your face and gently scrub it on your face in a circular motion.
- Using this recipe on your face would remove makeup and also nourishes your face with nutrients.
- Always remove your make up from your face before sleeping, as it can lead to other skin conditions forming on your face.